The Irish surname McMeeken was originally O Miadhachain in Irish Gaelic, which is derived from the word "miadhach," meaning "honorable."
Early Origins of the McMeeken family
The surname McMeeken was first found in County Leitrim
(Irish: Liatroim) anciently the western half of the kingdom of Breifne, located in Northeastern Ireland
, in Leinster
province, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the McMeeken family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McMeeken research.Another 236 words (17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McMeeken History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McMeeken Spelling Variations
Lacking standardized spellings, scribes and church officials recorded people's name according to how they sounded. This practice often led to the misleading result of one person's name being recorded under several different spellings. Numerous spelling variations
of the surname McMeeken are preserved in the archival documents of the period. The various spellings of the name that were found include O'Meehan, Meighan, MacMeehan, MacMeekin, MacMeekan,MacMehan, MacMehon and many more.
Early Notables of the McMeeken family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McMeeken Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McMeeken family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McMeeken Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Anderson McMeeken, aged 24, a farmer, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1834 aboard the brig "Dorcas Savage" from Belfast, Ireland
- Mary McMeeken, aged 23, who arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1834 aboard the brig "Dorcas Savage" from Belfast, Ireland
Contemporary Notables of the name McMeeken (post 1700)
- Bryan McMeeken, Canadian Directors Guild of Canada Award winning Assistant Director, known for his work in Degrassi: The Next Generation (2001), Cube Zero (2004) and Schitt's Creek (2015)
- Kate McMeeken -Ruscoe (b. 1979), New Zealand silver medalist basketball player as the 2006 Commonwealth Games
- Mike McMeeken (b. 1994), English rugby league player for Castleford Tigers