McMechan History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Irish surname McMechan was originally O Miadhachain in Irish Gaelic, which is derived from the word "miadhach," meaning "honorable."
Early Origins of the McMechan family
The surname McMechan was first found in County Leitrim (Irish: Liatroim) anciently the western half of the kingdom of Breifne, located in Northeastern Ireland, in Leinster province, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the McMechan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McMechan research. Another 102 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McMechan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McMechan Spelling Variations
One explanation for the many variations is that scribes and church officials frequently spelled the name as it sounded: an imprecise method at best. Understandably then, various spellings of the surname McMechan were found in the many archives researched. These included O'Meehan, Meighan, MacMeehan, MacMeekin, MacMeekan,MacMehan, MacMehon and many more.
Early Notables of the McMechan family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McMechan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McMechan migration to the United States +
Many Irish families boarded ships bound for North America in the middle of 19th century to escape the conditions of poverty and racial discrimination at that time. Although these immigrants often arrived in a destitute state, they went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. An inquiry into many immigration and passenger lists has revealed many early immigrants to North America bearing the McMechan family name:
McMechan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hen. McMechan, aged 46, who arrived in America from London, in 1892
- Mary McMechan, aged 40, who arrived in America from County Mayo, in 1893
- Patrick McMechan, aged 13, who arrived in America from County Mayo, in 1893
McMechan Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Jane McMechan, aged 33, who arrived in America from Belfast, Ireland, in 1907
- Jeannie McMechan, aged 25, who arrived in America from Belfast, Ireland, in 1910
- Charles McMechan, aged 55, who arrived in America, in 1921
- William McMechan, aged 32, who arrived in America, in 1921
- Rebecca McMechan, aged 31, who arrived in America from Paisley, Scotland, in 1924
McMechan migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
McMechan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John McMechan, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "William Nicol" in 1840 
- Susan McMechan, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "William Nicol" in 1840 
Contemporary Notables of the name McMechan (post 1700) +
- Maurice H McMechan (1902-1988), American inventor and aviator, he invented and held a patent for an Orchard heating system in 1970 and built two aircraft: McMechan AC-2 and the McMechan 1936 aeroplane
- John McMechan, Canadian politician, Member of the Toronto City Council in 1951
- Kelly McMechan, Canadian curler from Manitoba at the 1990 Labatt Brier
Related Stories +