McManaman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The McManaman surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic "Mac Meanman," a patronymic surname, created from the personal (first) name Meanma, which means "spirited."
Early Origins of the McManaman family
The surname McManaman was first found in Tirconnell (Irish: Tír Chonaill) present day Donegal, located in Northwestn Ireland in the province of Ulster, where they held a family seat as Chiefs in that territory. Irish history, after the Norman Conquest of England, was strongly influenced by the invasion of Strongbow in 1172. Many Irish clanns, sept names were intermixed and family groupings became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Mayo and in Donegal at Letterkenny and Ballybofey. Still later they branched to Tyrone at Omagh Union.
Important Dates for the McManaman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McManaman research. Another 80 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McManaman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McManaman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: McNemanin, McManamon, McMenamy, McManaway, McManamin, McManamy, McMenamen, McMenemen, McMenimin and many more.
Early Notables of the McManaman family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McManaman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McManaman migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical McManaman Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
McManaman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John McManaman, who arrived in Indiana in 1852 
McManaman Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bryan McManaman, aged 56, who arrived in America from Ballina, Ireland, in 1903
- Michael McManaman, aged 21, who arrived in America from Dromahair, Ireland, in 1904
- Josephine McManaman, aged 55, who arrived in Monuntclair, New Jersey, in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name McManaman (post 1700)
- Edward Peter McManaman (1900-1964), American prelate, Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Erie from 1948-1964
- Clint McManaman (b. 1980), born Clinton Porter, an American drummer, designer and entrepreneur
- Callum Henry McManaman (b. 1991), English footballer who plays for Wigan Athletic
- Steven "Steve" McManaman (b. 1972), English former footballer who played from 1990 to 2005, member of the England National Team (1994-2001)
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)