100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Irish, Scottish
Where did the Irish McKee family come from? When did the McKee family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McKee family history?As a native Irish name, McKee is derived from the Gaelic "Mag Aodha," or "son of Hugh," while others of the name in Ireland, are ultimately of Scottish origin.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Magee, Macgee, Mcgee, McGahee, McGhee and others.
First found in along the border of counties Donegal and Tyrone (Irish:Tír Eoghain), the ancient territory of the O'Neills, now in the Province of Ulster, central Northern Ireland, where they are thought to be descended from the Colla Uais. The McKee surname has also been long associated with County Antrim, because of the peninsula at Lough Larne, known as the Island Magee which was part of their early Ulster territories. Before the Norman invasion in the 12th century, a Magee was chief of a Sept in county Westmeath. Today, the name is most common in Ulster; however, most of these bearers are of Scottish descent.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McKee research. Another 292 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1717, 1755, 1766, 1821, 1825, 1830, 1831, 1846, 1868, 1880, and 1891 are included under the topic Early McKee History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 32 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McKee Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McKee Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Robert McKee, who arrived in New England in 1739
- Hugh McKee, who landed in America in 1795
McKee Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Nancy McKee, aged 16, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1803
- Pat McKee, aged 14, arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1803
- Agnes McKee, who landed in America in 1804
- Andrew McKee, who landed in South Carolina in 1807
- Gabriel McKee, who landed in America in 1811
McKee Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Jane McKee, aged 30, landed in Quebec in 1833
- Elenor McKee arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Zephyr" in 1833
- Anne McKee, aged 23, arrived in St John, New Brunswick in 1834
- Mary McKee, aged 30, landed in Quebec in 1834
- Rachael McKee, aged 4, landed in Quebec in 1834
McKee Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Hugh McKee, aged 34, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Marion"
- Jane McKee, aged 21, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- Margaret McKee, aged 18, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- Mary A. McKee, aged 22, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- Samuel McKee, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Glentanner"
McKee Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John McKee arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Queen of Beauty" in 1863
- Louis McKee, aged 20, a farmer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1876
- William McKee, aged 8, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1876
- Elizabeth McKee, aged 23, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1876
- Robert McKee, aged 28, a labourer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Caroline" in 1876
- Charles Dennis McKee (1948-1988), American Army Major from Arlington, Virginia, America, who flew aboard the Pan Am Flight 103 from Frankfurt to Detroit, known as the Lockerbie bombing in 1988 and died
- General William Fulton McKee (1906-1987), American Vice Chief of Staff of the US Air Force (1962-1964)
- Brigadier-General John Lloyd McKee (1895-1963), American Assistant Commanding General 87th Division (1942-1945)
- Colonel Alexander McKee (1735-1799), Irish-born, American agent for the British Indian Department during the French and Indian War, and the American Revolutionary War, eponym of McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania
- Raymond McKee (1892-1984), American actor from Iowa who appeared in 173 films
- Lafayette S. "Lafe" McKee (1872-1959), American actor who appeared in over 400 films
- Maria Luisa McKee (b. 1964), American singer and songwriter
- Hugh Wilson McKee (1844-1871), American naval officer, eponym of the USS McKee (DD-575), a Fletcher-class destroyer and the USS McKee (DD–87), a Wickes class destroyer
- Tywain "Ty" McKee (b. 1986), American professional basketball player
- Christopher Fulton McKee (b. 1942), American astrophysicist
- Ancestors of Our Children by Wells Laflin Field.
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
This page was last modified on 6 May 2015 at 21:40.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!