The original Gaelic form of McInely was Mac an Fhailghigh, which is derived from the word failgheach, which means poor man.
from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McInely research.Another 199 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1120, 1653, 1680 and 1697 are included under the topic Early McInely History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Within the archives researched, many different spelling variations
of the surname McInely were found. These included One reason for the many variations is that scribes and church officials often spelled an individual's name as it sounded. This imprecise method often led to many versions. McNally, McAnully, McAnalley, McAnally and others.
The 19th century saw a great wave of Irish families
for the distant shores of North America and Australia
. These families often left their homeland hungry, penniless, and destitute do to the policies of England
. Those Irish immigrants that survived the long sea passage initially settled on the eastern seaboard of the continent. Some, however, moved north to a then infant Canada as United Empire Loyalists after ironically serving with the English in the American War of Independence
. Others that remained in America later joined the westward migration in search of land. The greatest influx of Irish immigrants, though, came to North America during the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s. Thousands left Ireland
at this time for North America, and those who arrived were immediately put to work building railroads, coal mines, bridges, and canals. In fact, the foundations of today's powerful nations of the United Sates and Canada were to a larger degree built by the Irish. Archival documents indicate that members of the McInely family relocated to North American shores quite early: Bernard, Biddy, Charles, George, Henry John, Michal, Patrick, Thomas and William McNally all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860; Daniel, Francis and Patrick McAnully all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860.