100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname McIlwain was first found in Ayrshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland
, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire
, where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacIlvean, MacIlvane, MacIlvenna, MacIlwain, MacIlwaine and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McIlwain research. Another 192 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1500 and 1546 are included under the topic Early McIlwain History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early McIlwain Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the McIlwain family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 236 words (17 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McIlwain Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Maggie McIlwain, aged 22, who emigrated to America from Armagh, Ireland, in 1893
- R. McIlwain, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1893
- Samuel McIlwain, aged 18, who landed in America from Armagh, in 1898
McIlwain Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Chas. H. McIlwain, aged 36, who settled in America, in 1907
- John McIlwain, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Lochgelly, Scotland, in 1908
- Adam McIlwain, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Caven, Ireland, in 1909
- Bridget McIlwain, aged 24, who landed in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1912
- Eliza McIlwain, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Milford, Ireland, in 1912
- Wallace Wesley McIlwain (1903-1963), American professional football player
- Stover William McIlwain (1939-1966), American professional baseball player
- Charles Howard "Mae" McIlwain (1871-1968), American historian and political scientist
- L. O. McIlwain, American Democrat politician, Mayor of South Charleston, West Virginia, 1964-70
- John B. McIlwain, American politician, Mayor of Port Huron, Michigan, 1924
- James B. McIlwain, American politician, Mayor of Port Huron, Michigan, 1889-92
- Harry McIlwain, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1964
- Charlton McIlwain, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oklahoma, 2000
- Dallas McIlwain (b. 1982), Australian rugby league player
- Henry McIlwain (1912-1992), British neurochemist
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
The McIlwain Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McIlwain Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2015 at 11:18.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!