100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish McIlwain family come from? What is the Scottish McIlwain family crest and coat of arms? When did the McIlwain family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McIlwain family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacIlvean, MacIlvane, MacIlvenna, MacIlwain, MacIlwaine and many more.
First found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McIlwain research. Another 192 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1500 and 1546 are included under the topic Early McIlwain History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McIlwain Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McIlwain family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 236 words(17 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McIlwain Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Maggie McIlwain, aged 22, who emigrated to America from Armagh, Ireland, in 1893
- R. McIlwain, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1893
- Samuel McIlwain, aged 18, who landed in America from Armagh, in 1898
McIlwain Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Chas. H. McIlwain, aged 36, who settled in America, in 1907
- John McIlwain, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Lochgelly, Scotland, in 1908
- Adam McIlwain, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Caven, Ireland, in 1909
- Bridget McIlwain, aged 24, who landed in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1912
- Eliza McIlwain, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Milford, Ireland, in 1912
- Charles Howard "Mae" McIlwain (1871-1968), American historian and political scientist
- Stover William McIlwain (1939-1966), American professional baseball player
- Wallace Wesley McIlwain (1903-1963), American professional football player
- Henry McIlwain (1912-1992), British neurochemist
- Dallas McIlwain (b. 1982), Australian rugby league player
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The McIlwain Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McIlwain Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 March 2015 at 08:38.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!