100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacIlvean, MacIlvane, MacIlvenna, MacIlwain, MacIlwaine and many more.
First found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McIlwain research. Another 192 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1500 and 1546 are included under the topic Early McIlwain History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McIlwain Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McIlwain family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 236 words (17 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McIlwain Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Maggie McIlwain, aged 22, who emigrated to America from Armagh, Ireland, in 1893
- R. McIlwain, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1893
- Samuel McIlwain, aged 18, who landed in America from Armagh, in 1898
McIlwain Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Chas. H. McIlwain, aged 36, who settled in America, in 1907
- John McIlwain, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Lochgelly, Scotland, in 1908
- Adam McIlwain, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Caven, Ireland, in 1909
- Bridget McIlwain, aged 24, who landed in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1912
- Eliza McIlwain, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Milford, Ireland, in 1912
- Wallace Wesley McIlwain (1903-1963), American professional football player
- Stover William McIlwain (1939-1966), American professional baseball player
- Charles Howard "Mae" McIlwain (1871-1968), American historian and political scientist
- L. O. McIlwain, American Democrat politician, Mayor of South Charleston, West Virginia, 1964-70
- John B. McIlwain, American politician, Mayor of Port Huron, Michigan, 1924
- James B. McIlwain, American politician, Mayor of Port Huron, Michigan, 1889-92
- Harry McIlwain, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1964
- Charlton McIlwain, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oklahoma, 2000
- Dallas McIlwain (b. 1982), Australian rugby league player
- Henry McIlwain (1912-1992), British neurochemist
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
The McIlwain Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McIlwain Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2015 at 11:18.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!