100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish McIlvaine family come from? What is the Scottish McIlvaine family crest and coat of arms? When did the McIlvaine family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McIlvaine family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacIlvean, MacIlvane, MacIlvenna, MacIlwain, MacIlwaine and many more.
First found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McIlvaine research. Another 192 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1500 and 1546 are included under the topic Early McIlvaine History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McIlvaine Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McIlvaine family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 236 words(17 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McIlvaine Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J. H. McIlvaine, aged 44, who settled in America, in 1892
- Hattie McIlvaine, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Anna McIlvaine, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- A. McIlvaine, aged 23, who settled in America, in 1896
- Hattie McIlvaine, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1897
McIlvaine Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mary McIlvaine, who landed in America, in 1907
- M. McIlvaine, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Eliz McIlvaine, aged 27, who landed in America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1908
- Fannie McIlvaine, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1908
- Anna McIlvaine, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1908
- Joseph McIlvaine (1769-1826), American politician, U.S. senator from New Jersey
- Jim McIlvaine (b. 1972), American NBA basketball player
- Charles Pettit McIlvaine (1799-1873), American Episcopalian bishop and author, twice Chaplain of the United States Senate
- Charles McIlvaine (1840-1909), American author and mycologist
- Abraham Robinson McIlvaine (1804-1863), American politician, U.S. congressman from Pennsylvania
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
The McIlvaine Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McIlvaine Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 February 2013 at 14:22.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!