100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish McHale family come from? What is the Irish McHale family crest and coat of arms? When did the McHale family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McHale family history?The Gaelic name used by the McHale family in ancient Ireland was Mac Ciele, which is derived from the word ciele, which means companion.
Names written in official documents were generally spelt as they sounded, leading to the problem of one name being recorded under several different variations, creating the illusion in records of more than one person. Among the many spelling variations of the surname McHale that are preserved in documents of the family history are MacHale, McHale, MacHail, McHail, McCale, MacCale and others.
First found in County Mayo (Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Connacht, from before the 12th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McHale research. Another 197 words(14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McHale History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McHale Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
The English-ruled Ireland of the late 18th and 19th centuries featured a rapidly increasing population and an agricultural-based economy. This combination proved to be disastrous in the 1840s after a couple of failed potato harvests. Thousands died of disease and starvation, and thousands more left the country, often bound for North America. Those that survived the journey to North America were put to work building the bridges, canals, roadways, and railways needed for the development of an industrial society. Those Irish, although often despised by those already established in North American cities and towns, played an instrumental role in making Canada and the United States the powerful and wealthy nations that they are today. An examination of early immigration and passenger lists has shown many immigrants bearing the name McHale:
McHale Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Miles McHale, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1868
- Patrick McHale, who landed in America in 1868
- Bridget McHale, aged 36, who landed in America, in 1892
McHale Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anthony McHale, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Caslteban, Ireland, in 1906
- Beezie McHale, aged 40, who landed in America from Carramore, Ireland, in 1907
- Anna McHale, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Ballycastle, Ireland, in 1908
- Agnes McHale, aged 18, who settled in America from Athlone, Ireland, in 1909
- Annie McHale, aged 24, who emigrated to America from Castlebar, Ireland, in 1909
- Brian McHale (b. 1952), American literary theorist and author
- Brian K. McHale (b. 1954), American politician from Maryland
- Jim McHale (1875-1959), American professional baseball player
- Joel McHale (b. 1971), American television show host, comedian, and actor
- John McHale (1922-1978), Scottish-American artist
- John McHale (1921-2008), American professional baseball player and manager
- Kevin McHale (b. 1957), American professional basketball player
- Kevin Michael McHale (b. 1986), American actor and singer
- Marty McHale (1886-1979), American professional baseball player
- Paul F. McHale Jr. (b. 1950), American politician from Pennsylvania
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The McHale Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McHale Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 June 2015 at 06:31.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!