McGonegal History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Irish names tend to vary widely in their spelling and overall form. The original Gaelic form of the name McGonegal is Mag Congail, which means son of the most valorous one.
Early Origins of the McGonegal family
The surname McGonegal was first found in County Donegal (Irish: Dún na nGall), northwest Ireland in the province of Ulster, sometimes referred to as County Tyrconnel, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the McGonegal family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McGonegal research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McGonegal History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McGonegal Spelling Variations
The Middle Ages saw a great number of spelling variations for surnames common to the Irish landscape. One reason for these variations is the fact that surnames were not rigidly fixed by this period. The following variations for the name McGonegal were encountered in the archives: MacGonigle, MacGonagle, Magonagle, Magonigele and many more.
Early Notables of the McGonegal family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McGonegal Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McGonegal family
Death and immigration greatly reduced Ireland's population in the 19th century. For the native Irish people poverty, hunger, and racial prejudice was common. Therefore, thousands left their homeland to seek opportunity in North America. Those who survived the journey and the quarantine camps to which they arrived, were instrumental towards building the strong developing nations of the United States and the future Canada. By far, the largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine during the late 1840s. These were employed as construction or factory workers. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name McGonegal: James MacGonagal settled in Newcastle in 1803; Edward, James, Patrick, MacGonagle all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860; Edward, George, James, John, Michael, Patrick, Thomas, MacGonegal all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860.
Contemporary Notables of the name McGonegal (post 1700)
- H. McGonegal, American secretary of the Third Ward Railway, an electric street trolley line in Syracuse, New York in 1890
- Alfred McGonegal (1900-1974), known by his stage name Allen Jenkins, an American character actor and singer who worked on stage, film and television
- John McGonegal, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Monroe County, 1847 
- George E. McGonegal, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Monroe County 1st District, 1862-63 
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html