McGeever History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The McGeever surname is thought to have derived from an Old Norse personal name Ivarr of uncertain origin. It became a given name in Ireland, Scotland and Wales before becoming a hereditary surname.
Early Origins of the McGeever family
The surname McGeever was first found in Dumbartonshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Important Dates for the McGeever family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McGeever research. Another 147 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1292, 1479, 1659, 1621, 1644, 1621, 1622, 1640 and 1644 are included under the topic Early McGeever History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McGeever Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacIver, MacIvor, MacCure, MacEure, MacUre and many more.
Early Notables of the McGeever family (pre 1700)
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McGeever Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McGeever family to Ireland
Some of the McGeever family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 81 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McGeever migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McGeever Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ellen McGeever, aged 19, who landed in America from Ballenful Co. Sligo, Ireland, in 1907
- John McGeever, aged 35, who landed in America from Donegal, in 1907
- Michael McGeever, aged 21, who immigrated to the United States from Liverpool, England, in 1907
- Annie McGeever, aged 52, who settled in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1909
- Bridget McGeever, aged 12, who immigrated to the United States from Donegal, Ireland, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name McGeever (post 1700)
- John McGeever (b. 1939), former American football cornerback in the American Football League
- Francis McGeever (b. 1917), American politician, American Independent Candidate for Governor of Pennsylvania, 1970 
- Kitty McGeever (1966-2015), born Catherine Jane Mitchell, an English actress and comedienne, best known for her role as Lizzie Lakely in Emmerdale from 2009 to 2013, the first blind actress to be cast in a British soap opera
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html