on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish McGarvey family come from? What is the Irish McGarvey family crest and coat of arms? When did the McGarvey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McGarvey family history?Today's Irish surnames are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name McGarvey originally appeared in Gaelic as O Gairbhin, derived from the word "garbh," which means "rough."
Before widespread literacy came to Ireland, a name was often recorded under several different variations during the life of its bearer. Accordingly, numerous spelling variations were revealed in the search for the origin of the name McGarvey family name. Variations found include Garvin, Garvey, Garwin, Garvine, Garven, Garvan, Garvy, Garvie, Garwen and many more.
First found in County Tyrone (Irish:Tír Eoghain), the ancient territory of the O'Neills, now in the Province of Ulster, central Northern Ireland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McGarvey research. Another 269 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1000, 1527 and 1595 are included under the topic Early McGarvey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 25 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McGarvey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name McGarvey:
McGarvey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William B McGarvey, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Michael McGarvey, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854
- David McGarvey, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1857
- Matthew McGarvey, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1860
- Phillip McGarvey, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1876
McGarvey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anne McGarvey, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Ireland, in 1902
- Bridget McGarvey, aged 25, who landed in America from Donegal, in 1906
- Annie McGarvey, aged 17, who settled in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1907
- Andrew McGarvey, aged 21, who landed in America from Donegal, Ireland, in 1907
- Alexander McGarvey, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Moneymore, Ireland, in 1910
McGarvey Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Susan McGarvey arrived in Saint John aboard the ship "Eleanor" in 1834
McGarvey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Mcgarvey, Scottish convict from Aberdeen, who was transported aboard the "America" on April 4, 1829, settling in New South Wales, Australia
McGarvey Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Eliza McGarvey, aged 21, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gainsborough" in 1878
- Robert Neill McGarvey (1888-1952), American politician, Member of the United States House of Representatives from Pennsylvania (1947-1949)
- Stan McGarvey (b. 1949), American former football coach, NAIA Division II Coach of the Year (1980)
- John William "J. W." McGarvey (1829-1911), American minister, author, and religious educator in the American Restoration Movement
- Daniel Francis "Dan" McGarvey (1887-1947), American Major League Baseball left fielder who played in one game for the Detroit Tigers on May 18, 1912
- Morgan McGarvey (1979-1980), American politician, Democratic member of the Kentucky Senate (2013-)
- William McGarvey (1861-1924), American priest in the Episcopal Church and rector of St. Elizabeth parish in Philadelphia
- Ian McGarvey (b. 1930), Irish politician, Member of Donegal County Council
- Seamus McGarvey ASC, BSC (b. 1967), Irish multiple Academy Award nominated and BAFTA Award nominated cinematographer
- Frank McGarvey (b. 1956), British retired football player
- Scott McGarvey (b. 1963), Scottish former footballer who played from 1980 to 1994, member of the Scotland National Team (1981-1983), current manager of Manchester Maccabi (2009-)
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The McGarvey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McGarvey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 January 2015 at 11:37.
on orders of $85 or more