100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish McFarland family come from? What is the Scottish McFarland family crest and coat of arms? When did the McFarland family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McFarland family history?The ancestors of the McFarland family come from the ancient Scottish kingdom of Dalriada. The family name comes from the personal name Parlan, which is the Gaelic equivalent of Bartholomew. The Gaelic form of the name is Mac Pharlain.
Historical recordings of the name McFarland include many spelling variations. They are the result of repeated translations of the name from Gaelic to English and inconsistencies in spelling rules. They include MacFarlane, MacFarlain, MacFarlan, MacFarland, MacParlan, MacParland, MacPartland, MacPartlin, MacPharlane, MacPharlin, MacPharlan and many more.
First found in Aberdeenshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland, where they were descended from the ancient Chief Allan, son of Farlane and settled in Strathdonn in Aberdeenshire about the 9th century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McFarland research. Another 625 words(45 lines of text) covering the years 1395, 1395 and are included under the topic Early McFarland History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McFarland Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McFarland family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 161 words(12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Dalriadan families proliferated in North America. Their descendants still populate many communities in the eastern parts of both the United States and Canada. Some settled in Canada as United Empire Loyalists, in the wake of the American War of Independence. Families on both sides of the border have recovered much of their heritage in the 20th century through Clan societies and highland games. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name McFarland or a variant listed above:
McFarland Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Duncan McFarland, who landed in New England in 1718
- Andrew McFarland, who arrived in New England in 1719
- Daniel McFarland, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1723
- Elenor McFarland, who arrived in New England in 1723
- George McFarland, who landed in New England in 1752
McFarland Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert McFarland, who landed in America in 1803
- Dennis McFarland, who arrived in America in 1805
- Elizth McFarland, who arrived in America in 1806
- Jane McFarland, who arrived in America in 1806
- Robt McFarland, who arrived in America in 1806
McFarland Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- William McFarland, aged 13, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Salus" in 1833
- Mary McFarland, aged 10, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Salus" in 1833
- Matilda McFarland, aged 6, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Salus" in 1833
- Peggy McFarland, aged 3, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Salus" in 1833
- Patrick McFarland, aged 5, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Salus" in 1833
McFarland Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John McFarland arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Fairfield" in 1839
- William McFarland, aged 21, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Amazon"
- Anthony McFarland (b. 1977), American professional football player
- Daron McFarland (b. 1972), American actor and playwright
- Dylan McFarland (b. 1980), American professional football player
- George "Spanky" McFarland (1928-1993), American actor in the Our Gang series
- TJ McFarland (b. 1977), American singer and songwriter
- Mark McFarland (b. 1978), American NASCAR race driver
- Brigadier-General Andrew Jackson McFarland (1888-1965), American Secretary of Combined Staff Planers, Combined Chiefs of Staff (1942)
- Brigadier-General Earl McFarland (1883-1972), American Executive Officer for the Assistant Secretary of War (1931-1933)
- Gary McFarland (1933-1971), American composer, arranger, vibraphonist and vocalist, founder of The Gary McFarland Orchestra
- John C. McFarland (1840-1881), American sailor in the United States Navy awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions in the Battle of Mobile Bay during the American Civil War, eponym of the USS McFarland (DD-237/AVD-14) was a Clemson-class destroyer
- Clergyman and Chiefs: a Genealogy of the MacQueen and McFarlane Families by Alex M. Quattlebaum.
- McFarland Collection by Robert H. McFarland.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The McFarland Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McFarland Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 March 2015 at 09:02.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!