The west coast of Scotland
and the rocky Hebrides
islands are the ancient home of the McFadzean family. The root of their name is the personal name Paidean.
The Gaelic forms of the surname are Mac Phadein
or Mac Phaidin,
both of which mean son of Paidean.
Early Origins of the McFadzean family
The surname McFadzean was first found in Kintyre
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the McFadzean family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McFadzean research.Another 109 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McFadzean History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McFadzean Spelling Variations
Spelling and translation were not standardized practices until the last few centuries. Spelling variations
are extremely common among early Scottish names. McFadzean has been spelled McFadyen, Fadden, Fadyen, Faden, McFadin, Fadin, McFadwyn, Fadwyn, McFadyean, McFadyon, McFayden, Feyden and many more.
Early Notables of the McFadzean family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McFadzean Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McFadzean family to Ireland
Some of the McFadzean family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 75 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McFadzean family to the New World and Oceana
Numerous Scottish settlers settled along the east coast of the colonies that would become the United States and Canada. Others traveled to the open country of the west. At the time of the American War of Independence
, some remained in the United States, while those who remained loyal to the crown went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. The highland games and Clan
societies that sprang up across North America in the 20th century have helped many Scots to recover parts of their lost traditions. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first McFadzeans to arrive in North America:
McFadzean Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Tina McFadzean, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1894
McFadzean Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mary E. McFadzean, aged 29, who landed in America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1908
- Sarah S. McFadzean, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Preswick, Scotland, in 1908
- Charles McFadzean, aged 38, who emigrated to the United States from Crosshill, Scotland, in 1910
- David McFadzean, aged 1, who emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1910
- Davina McFadzean, aged 29, who landed in America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name McFadzean (post 1700)
- John McFadzean, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1924
- Mrs. John McFadzean, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1924
- David McFadzean, American television producer, writer, film producer and playwright, best known for co-creating the 1990s sitcom Home Improvement
- James "Jim" McFadzean (1938-2016), Scottish footballer who played from 1956 to 1973
- William Hunter McFadzean KT (1903-1996), Baron McFadzean, a British politician
- William Frederick "Billy" McFadzean VC (1895-1916), Northern Irish-born, Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Callum Jeffrey McFadzean (b. 1994), English footballer from Sheffield
- Kyle John McFadzean (b. 1987), English footballer
McFadzean Family Crest Products