on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish McFadden family come from? What is the Scottish McFadden family crest and coat of arms? When did the McFadden family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McFadden family history?The McFadden family comes from the ancient Scottish Dalriadan clans of the mountainous west coast of Scotland. The name McFadden is derived from the personal name Paidean. The Gaelic forms of the surname are Mac Phadein or Mac Phaidin, both of which mean son of Paidean.
Translation in medieval times was an undeveloped science and was often carried out without due care. For this reason, many early Scottish names appeared radically altered when written in English. The spelling variations of McFadden include McFadyen, Fadden, Fadyen, Faden, McFadin, Fadin, McFadwyn, Fadwyn, McFadyean, McFadyon, McFayden, Feyden and many more.
First found in Kintyre, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McFadden research. Another 244 words(17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McFadden History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McFadden Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McFadden family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 173 words(12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The hardy Scots who made the crossing settled all along the east coast of North America and in the great west that was just then opening up. At the time of the American War of Independence, many United Empire Loyalists moved north from the American colonies to Canada. Scottish national heritage became better known in North America in the 20th century through highland games and other patriotic events. An examination of immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name McFadden arrived in North America very early:
McFadden Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Andrew McFadden, who arrived in New England in 1718
- James McFadden, who landed in New England in 1718-1720
McFadden Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John McFadden, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1809
- Joseph McFadden, aged 6, arrived in America in 1822
- Samuel McFadden, who landed in New York in 1827
- Sharp McFadden, who arrived in New York in 1838
- Robert McFadden, who landed in Mississippi in 1838
McFadden Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Denis McFadden, aged 28, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Billow" in 1833
- Patrick McFadden, aged 21, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Billow" in 1833
- Patrick McFadden, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Billow" in 1833
- Ferigal McFadden, aged 29, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Billow" in 1833
- Grace McFadden, aged 27, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Billow" in 1833
McFadden Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary McFadden, aged 23, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "South Sea"
- William McFadden, aged 19, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Fitzjames"
- Margaret McFadden, aged 25, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Nimroud"
- Nancy McFadden, aged 14, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Nimroud"
- Mary McFadden, aged 19, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
McFadden Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William McFadden, aged 48, a farm labourer, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Siberia" in 1870
- Catherine McFadden, aged 45, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Siberia" in 1870
- William McFadden, aged 19, a farm labourer, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Siberia" in 1870
- Margaret McFadden, aged 22, a dairymaid, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Siberia" in 1870
- Daniel McFadden, aged 25, a farm labourer, arrived in Napier aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1879
- Daniel L McFadden (b. 1937), American economist who won the 2000 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences
- Gates McFadden (b. 1949), American actress
- Louis Thomas McFadden (1876-1936), member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Tom McFadden, American actor
- Bryant McFadden (b. 1981), American NFL football cornerback
- Cynthia McFadden (b. 1956), American anchor and correspondent for ABC News
- Darren McFadden (b. 1987), American NFL football running back
- Joseph Patrick McFadden (1947-2013), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church, Bishop of Harrisburg (2010-2013)
- James McFadden (b. 1983), Scottish footballer
- Joseph "Joe" McFadden (b. 1975), Scottish television actor
- A McFadden Chronology by William Thomas Skinner.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The McFadden Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McFadden Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 March 2015 at 07:17.
on orders of $85 or more