on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish McCreary family come from? What is the Irish McCreary family crest and coat of arms? When did the McCreary family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McCreary family history?There are many Irish surnames being used today in forms that are quite different than their original, ancient forms. McCreary originally appeared in Gaelic as Mac Ruaidhri, which means son of Rory.
The recording of names in Ireland during the Middle Ages was an inconsistent endeavor at best. Since the general population did not know how to read or write, they could only specify how their names should be recorded orally. Research into the name McCreary revealed spelling variations, including MacCreary, MacCreery, MacCrary, MacCrory and others.
First found in County Tyrone (Irish:Tír Eoghain), the ancient territory of the O'Neills, now in the Province of Ulster, central Northern Ireland, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCreary research. Another 459 words(33 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1298, and 1800 are included under the topic Early McCreary History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McCreary Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Death and immigration greatly reduced Ireland's population in the 19th century. For the native Irish people poverty, hunger, and racial prejudice was common. Therefore, thousands left their homeland to seek opportunity in North America. Those who survived the journey and the quarantine camps to which they arrived, were instrumental towards building the strong developing nations of the United States and the future Canada. By far, the largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine during the late 1840s. These were employed as construction or factory workers. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name McCreary:
McCreary Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mary McCreary, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1772
- James McCreary, who arrived in America in 1795-1798
McCreary Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew McCreary, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1830
- Conn N. McCreary (1921-1979), United States Hall of Fame jockey and trainer
- James Bennett McCreary (1838-1918), lawyer and politician from the U.S. state of Kentucky
- Bear McCreary (b. 1979), American classically-trained American composer and musician
- Lori McCreary, American motion picture producer and computer scientist
- Lew McCreary, American author, editor, and speaker
- Judith McCreary, American TV writer and producer
- George Deardorff McCreary (1846-1915), American Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Aaron M. "Mac" McCreary, American football, basketball, and baseball player, coach, and college athletics administrator
- Vernon "Keith" McCreary (1940-2003), Canadian left winger in the National Hockey League
- William "Bill" McCreary (b. 1955), Canadian referee in the National Hockey League
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The McCreary Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McCreary Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 December 2014 at 18:02.
on orders of $85 or more