Mattox History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Welsh surname Mattox is derived from the early Welsh personal name Madoc. This was also written as Madawc and Madog, from the Old Welsh name Matoc, which had the literal meaning of goodly.
Early Origins of the Mattox family
The surname Mattox was first found in Herefordshire, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Mattox family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mattox research. Another 116 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1571, 1612, 1598, 1612, 1697, 1759 and 1736 are included under the topic Early Mattox History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mattox Spelling Variations
Welsh surnames are relatively few in number, but they have an inordinately large number of spelling variations. There are many factors that explain the preponderance of Welsh variants, but the earliest is found during the Middle Ages when Welsh surnames came into use. Scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, which often resulted in a single person's name being inconsistently recorded over his lifetime. The transliteration of Welsh names into English also accounts for many of the spelling variations: the unique Brythonic Celtic language of the Welsh had many sounds the English language was incapable of accurately reproducing. It was also common for members of a same surname to change their names slightly, in order to signify a branch loyalty within the family, a religious adherence, or even patriotic affiliations. For all of these reasons, the many spelling variations of particular Welsh names are very important. The surname Mattox has occasionally been spelled Maddox, Maddix, Maddick, Mattick, Matticks, Mattix, Maddock, Maddockes, Maddocks, Madocks, Madox, Madoch, Mattock and many more.
Early Notables of the Mattox family (pre 1700)
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mattox Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mattox family to Ireland
Some of the Mattox family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mattox migration to the United States +
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, many people from Wales joined the general migration to North America in search of land, work, and freedom. These immigrants greatly contributed to the rapid development of the new nations of Canada and the United States. They also added a rich and lasting cultural heritage to their newly adopted societies. Investigation of immigration and passenger lists has revealed a number of people bearing the name Mattox:
Mattox Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Anne Mattox, who arrived in Maryland in 1669 
Mattox Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Margarett Mattox, who landed in Virginia in 1714 
Mattox Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- P. S. Mattox, aged 38, who landed in America, in 1895
Mattox Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Fred Mattox, aged 34, who immigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Charles Mattox, aged 28, who settled in America, in 1909
- Ima G. Mattox, aged 34, who immigrated to America, in 1911
- Fred P Mattox, aged 38, who landed in America, in 1912
- Linder Mattox, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Mattox (post 1700) +
- Allison Mattox (b. 1986), American actress
- Bernard Mattox (b. 1938), birth name of Gregory Walcott, American actor and producer
- James "Jim" Powell Mattox (1896-1973), American Major League Baseball player who played for the Pittsburgh Pirates (1922 to 1923)
- Marv Mattox (1900-1923), American National Football League blocking back who played with the Milwaukee Badgers during the 1923 NFL season
- Cloy Mitchell Mattox (1902-1985), American Major League Baseball catcher
- Martha Mattox (1879-1933), American silent film actor
- James Albon Mattox (1943-2008), American lawyer and Texas Democratic politician, who served two four-year terms as state Attorney General
- Matt Mattox (b. 1921), American jazz and ballet dancer
- Roger Mattox, American Republican politician, Chair of Le Flore County Republican Party, 2014 
- John L. Mattox, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Venango County, 1893-96 
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Historic Events for the Mattox family +
- Mr. James Durant Mattox, American Aviation Machinist's Mate Third Class from Florida, USA working aboard the ship "USS Arizona" when she sunk during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7th December 1941, he died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Mattox +
- 3164 Asa Lee Mattox and Nellie Frances Edwards by Patricia Eileen Jeski Goodspeed.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Pearl Harbour: USS Arizona Casualties List Pearl Harbour December 7, 1941. (Retrieved 2018, July 31st). Retrieved from http://pearl-harbor.com/arizona/casualtylist.html