Maslen History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Maslen family
The surname Maslen was first found in Shropshire where the family name was first referenced in the 12th century when Richard, son of Mescelin, held the estates in 1187. He is believed to be descended from William de Meschines, younger brother of Ranulph, 3rd Earl of Chester, who was descended from the Viscounts of Bessin, in the Department of Calvados in Normandy, and who held the honor of Skipton, in Yorkshire, from Richard Banistre, a Norman Baron of Cheshire who also held lands in Capite in Shropshire. Robert is mentioned as witness to a deed in 1106. There is also a vague relationship to Robert of Rhudlan, kinsman of Duke William. Richard, descendent of William, who was an under-tenant in Shropshire in 1187.
Up in Cumberland, more early records of the family were found. "The township lies between the river Ehen on the east, and the Irish Sea on the west, and contains the venerable remains of Egremont Castle, built soon after the Conquest by William de Meschines, the first Baron of Copeland, and still exhibiting traces of strength and grandeur." 
Early History of the Maslen family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Maslen research. Another 191 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1203, 1455, 1487, 1510, 1600, 1165, 1811, 1611, 1679, 1660, 1172 and are included under the topic Early Maslen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Maslen Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mascelin, Maskelyne, Maskelyne, Masculine, Masculyne, Maslen, Maslin, Mechen, Meshin, Machine, Miskin, Meskin, Meschine and many more.
Early Notables of the Maslen family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Maslen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Maslen family to Ireland
Some of the Maslen family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 102 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Maslen migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Maslen Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Maslen, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1839 
- Martha Maslen, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1839 
- Robert Maslen, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1839 
- Jane Maslen, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1839 
Contemporary Notables of the name Maslen (post 1700) +
- Warren W. Maslen, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Westchester County 2nd District, 1928 
- Scott Alexander Maslen (b. 1971), English actor and model, known for his role as Jack Branning on EastEnders
- A.W.G. Maslen, Australian officer-in-charge at Mawson Station in 1961, eponym of Mount Maslen, Antarctica
Related Stories +