Marine History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Marine family
The surname Marine was first found in Hampshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Norman influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. The family name was first referenced in the 12th century when they held estates in that shire. They were one of the many noble Norman families King Henry recruited from Normandy during his reign. They were of Marrini or Marigny family of Calvados in Bayeux at Marigny, 4 kilometers from Port en Bessin. In 1166 Gwerri or Guerri Marigny held half a knights fee from Adam de Port, a Norman Baron, at Mapledurwell, 3 miles from Basingstoke. The family held a family seat at Winteringham in Lincolnshire in early times. "The estates were anciently held by the Marmions, one of whom, in the reign of Edward II., obtained a charter for a market here, now no longer held." 
Early History of the Marine family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Marine research. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1379, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Marine History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Marine Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Marin, Marinn, Marrin, Marrine, Marinson, Marynson, Marrenson and many more.
Early Notables of the Marine family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Marine Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Marine is the 7,958th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Marine migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Marine Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Marine, who arrived in Maryland in 1677 
Marine Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ventura Marine, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1816 
Contemporary Notables of the name Marine (post 1700) +
- Kenneth Marine Kercheval (1935-2019), American actor, best known for his role as Cliff Barnes on the television series Dallas
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)