Margaret History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Margaret family
The surname Margaret was first found in Languedoc, in the south of France, where the family has been a prominent family for centuries, and held a family seat with lands and manor. The family were well established in the region of Nimes and Toulouse and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility.
Early History of the Margaret family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Margaret research. Another 55 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Margaret History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Margaret Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Marguerite, Margeride, Margaride, Margalide, Margerit, Marguerie, Marguery, Margry, Margrette, Margeridon, Marguerin, Margeron, Margulius, Margotin, Marguet and many more.
Early Notables of the Margaret family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Margaret Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Margaret migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Margaret Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- James Margaret, who landed in Virginia in 1655 
- Henry Margaret, who arrived in Virginia in 1664 
Margaret Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mary Margaret, aged 34, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1851 
- M Margaret, aged 35, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1852 
Contemporary Notables of the name Margaret (post 1700) +
- Saint Clitherow Margaret (1556-1586), religious called "The Pearl of York"
- Jane Margaret Soons (1931-2020), New Zealand geomorphologist from Great Gonerby, Lincolnshire
- Eglington Margaret Pearson (1746-1823), née Paterson, an English stained glass painter
- Anna Margaret Glenn (1920-2020), née Castor, an American advocate for people with disabilities and communication disorders, widow of former astronaut and Senator John Glenn
- Eleanor Margaret Burbidge FRS (1919-2020), née Peachey, a British-American astrophysicist, Director of the Royal Greenwich Observatory and President of the American Astronomical Society
- Mrs. Janet Margaret Bowen C.V.O., British Lord Lieutenant of Ross and Cromarty, was appointed the Commander of the Royal Victorian Order on 8th June 2018 
- Prof. Norma Margaret Dwason C.B.E., British Professor of Law for Queen’s University in Belfast was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire on 17th June 2017, for services to Legal Education and the Development of the Legal Profession in Northern Ireland
- Mrs. Elizabeth Margaret Costello B.E.M., British recipient of the British Empire Medal on 8th June 2018, for services to the Arts and to charity in the community in Leigh, Greater Manchester 
- Ms. Olga Margaret Bannister B.E.M., British Branch Head for South Yorkshire Motor Neuron Disease Association, was appointed the British Empire Medal on 8th June 2018, for services to those with Motor Neuron Disease and to their Carers 
- Mrs. Hilda Margaret Winter M.B.E., British Proprietor for Dan Winter’s House in Loughgall, was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire on 8th June 2018, for services to the community in County Armagh 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62310, 4 July 2019 | London Gazette, The Gazette, June 2018, https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/62310/supplement/B1
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62310, 31 October 2019 | London Gazette, The Gazette, June 2018, https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/62310/supplement/B1