The earliest forms of hereditary surnames
were the patronymic
surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Similar to many Spanish patronymic names, the distinguished surname Manriquez is a proud sign of a rich and ancient ancestry. Checking further we found the name was derived from the medieval given name Manrique, which is composed of the Germanic elements mann, which means man and ric, which means power. Thus, the name Manriquez was given to a man of great strength and power.
Early Origins of the Manriquez family
The surname Manriquez was first found in Old Castile
, where the name originated in Visigothic
Early History of the Manriquez family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Manriquez research.Another 211 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1203, 1238, 1585, and 1590 are included under the topic Early Manriquez History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Manriquez Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Manrique, Manrico, Malrico, Almerique, Iambic and many more.
Early Notables of the Manriquez family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were Gómez Manrique (c.
1412-1490) and his nephew Jorge Manrique, both important poets of the fifteenth century; sixteenth century soldier and cleric Francisco Manrique de Lara; Alonso Manrique de Zúñiga, Viceroy of Mexico 1585-1590 and first Duke of Villamanrique; Angel... Another 45 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Manriquez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Manriquez family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Manriquez Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Lorenzo Manriquez, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1912
- Nicolas Manriquez, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1917
- Maclovia Manriquez, aged 44, who emigrated to the United States from Santiago, Chile, in 1920
- Abdon Manriquez, aged 42, who settled in America from Valparaiso, Chile, in 1920
- Jose Manriquez, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Manriquez (post 1700)
- Frankie Ryan Manriquez (b. 1994), American former actor
- Julian Manriquez, one time owner of Rancho La Laguna, Riverside County, California (1844)
- Rafael Manríquez (b. 1947), Chilean journalist, singer, guitarist, composer and producer
- Silvia Manríquez, Mexican actress