Manet History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
From the historical and enchanting region of France emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Manet family. Originally, the French people were known only by a single name. The process by which hereditary surnames were adopted in France is extremely interesting. Surnames evolved during the Middle Ages when people began to assume an extra name to avoid confusion and to further identify themselves. Often they adopted names that were derived from nicknames. Nickname surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The name Manet is a nickname type of surname for a fierce or strong man which was in turn derived from the Middle-High-German word man, from which the English word man is derived.
Early Origins of the Manet family
The surname Manet was first found in Savoy (French: Savoie) in the Rhône-Alpes region of the French Alps, where this celebrated family held a family seat from ancient times. One of the first records of the family was Richard Mennet who was listed in Normandy in 1180-1185. Osbert Minete was later recorded there in 1198 and it seems that some of the family emigrated to England as the Hundredorum Rolls of 1272 list William Monet. 
Important Dates for the Manet family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Manet research. Another 146 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1552, 1733 and 1800 are included under the topic Early Manet History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Manet Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Manet, Mannet, Manez, Manai, Manaie, Manaies, Manait, Mannez, Mannai, Mannaie, Mannaies, Mannait, Maney, Manney, du Manet, du Mannet, du Manez, du Manai, du Manaie, du Manaies, du Manait, du Mannez, du Mannai, du Mannaie, du Mannaies, du Mannait, du Maney, du Manney and many more.
Early Notables of the Manet family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Manet Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Manet migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Manet Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Wal Manet, who arrived in Virginia in 1634 
- W. Manet, who settled in Virginia in 1637
Manet Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Arnold Manet, aged 24, settled in New York in 1822
Contemporary Notables of the name Manet (post 1700)
- Édouard Manet, famous French painter
- Eduardo Manet, Director, Paris
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)