Manen History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The original Gaelic form of Manen was O Mainnin.
Early Origins of the Manen family
The surname Manen was first found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island.
Early History of the Manen family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Manen research. Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1172 is included under the topic Early Manen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Manen Spelling Variations
In the Middle Ages many people were recorded under different spellings each time their name was written down. Research on the Manen family name revealed numerous spelling variations, including Mannion, O'Mannin, O'Mannion, Mannyan, Mennon and many more.
Early Notables of the Manen family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Manen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Manen migration to the United States +
Ireland saw an enormous decrease in its population in the 19th century due to immigration and death. This pattern of immigration began slowly in the late 18th century and gradually grew throughout the early portion of the 19th century. However, a dramatic increase in the country's immigration numbers occurred when the Great Potato Famine struck in the 1840s. The early immigrants to North America were primarily destined to be farmers tending to their own plot of land, those that came later initially settled within pre-established urban centers. These urban immigrants provided the cheap labor that the fast developing United States and soon to be Canada required. Regardless of their new lifestyle in North America, the Irish immigrants to the United States and Canada made invaluable contributions to their newly adopted societies. An investigation of immigrant and passenger lists revealed many Manens:
Manen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Manen, aged 28, who landed in Key West, Fla in 1838 
Contemporary Notables of the name Manen (post 1700) +
- Ruby Manen, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 2012 
- Christian Manen (1934-2020), French composer and music teacher
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 8) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html