The many Irish surnames in use today have long rich histories behind them. The name Mahoeny originally appeared in Gaelic as O Mathghamhna, which is derived from the word mathghamhan, which means bear. The modern spelling is O Mahúna.
Early Origins of the Mahoeny family
The surname Mahoeny was first found in County Cork
(Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland
in the province of Munster
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Mahoeny family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mahoeny research.Another 357 words (26 lines of text) covering the years 1014, 1639, 1679 and 1987 are included under the topic Early Mahoeny History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mahoeny Spelling Variations
One explanation for the many variations is that scribes and church officials frequently spelled the name as it sounded: an imprecise method at best. Understandably then, various spellings of the surname Mahoeny were found in the many archives researched. These included Mahoney, O'Mahoney, O'Mahony, Mahony and others.
Early Notables of the Mahoeny family (pre 1700)
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mahoeny Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mahoeny family to the New World and Oceana
Many Irish families
boarded ships bound for North America in the middle of 19th century to escape the conditions of poverty and racial discrimination at that time. Although these immigrants often arrived in a destitute state, they went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. An inquiry into many immigration and passenger lists has revealed many early immigrants to North America bearing the Mahoeny family name: Cornelius, Daniel, Denis, James, Jeremiah, John, Mary, Michael, Patrick, Peggy, Thomas, Timothy and William Mahoney, who all arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1840 and 1860.