MacVey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name is derived from the Irish Gaelic "Mac an Bheatha," and a bearer of Mac Beatha is mentioned in the Annals as taking part in the battle of Clontarf in 1014.
Early Origins of the MacVey family
The surname MacVey was first found in Connacht (Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat from ancient times. Today the name is numerous in north-east Ulster but back in the 17th century it was mainly recorded in Antrim, Armagh and Donegal as McVagh, McVaugh and McEvagh. 
Important Dates for the MacVey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our MacVey research. Another 44 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1541, 1541 and 1798 are included under the topic Early MacVey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacVey Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: McVeigh, McVeagh, McVey, McVeigh, Mcvagh, MacVaugh, McEvagh and many more.
Early Notables of the MacVey family (pre 1700)
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early MacVey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacVey migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical MacVey Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
MacVey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeffrey Macvey, who arrived in Maryland in 1674 
Contemporary Notables of the name MacVey (post 1700)
- John W. MacVey, British author, best known for his books Time Travel: a guide to journey in the forth dimension (1990) Whispers from Space (1973), Journey to Alpha Centauri (1965) and Alone in the Universe? (1963)
- MacVey Napier (1776-1847), Scottish editor of the Edinburgh Review, from Kirkintilloch, Dumbartonshire
You May Also Like
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, More Irish Families. Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)