The spelling and overall form of Irish names tend to vary widely. The original Gaelic form of the name MacNee is Mac Neidhe, which is derived from the word niadh, which means champion.
Early Origins of the MacNee family
The surname MacNee was first found in County Down
(Irish:An Dún) part of the Province of Ulster
, in Northern Ireland
, formerly known as county St Mirren, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the MacNee family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our MacNee research.Another 246 words (18 lines of text) covering the year 1037 is included under the topic Early MacNee History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacNee Spelling Variations
During the Middle Ages, a person's name was often recorded under several spelling variations
during a single lifetime because it was essentially up to the individual scribe's discretion as to how to record an individual's name. Research into the name MacNee revealed many variations, including MacNee, MacNea, MacNay, MacKnee, MacNeigh, MacNia, Nee, Knee and many more.
Early Notables of the MacNee family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early MacNee Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the MacNee family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
MacNee Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- J W MacNee, who landed in Sydney, Australia in 1839
Contemporary Notables of the name MacNee (post 1700)
- Daniel Macnee (1877-1952), British race horse trainer, grandson of Sir Daniel Macnee, father of Patrick Macnee
- Dorothea Mabel Macnee BEM (1896-1984), née Henry, British socialite during the inter war years, mother of Patrick Macnee
- Patrick Macnee (1922-2015), British-born actor, best known for his starring role as the secret agent John Steed in the "Avengers"
- Sir Daniel Macnee FRSE RSA (1806-1882), Scottish portrait painter, President of the Royal Scottish Academy (1876), great-grandfather of the actor Patrick Macnee