MacGeehend History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms

Hundreds of years ago, the Gaelic name used by the MacGeehend family in Ireland was Mac Eogain in Connacht, and Mac Eoin in east Ulster. Both of these names connote a "son of John," or "son of Owen." [1]

Early Origins of the MacGeehend family

The surname MacGeehend was first found in County Sligo (Irish: Sligeach), in the province of Connacht in Northwestern Ireland, where the first people to use this surname are thought to have originated. Soon thereafter, the name was also found in neighboring Leitrim.

Early History of the MacGeehend family

This web page shows only a small excerpt of our MacGeehend research. Another 84 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early MacGeehend History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

MacGeehend Spelling Variations

Irish names were rarely spelled consistently in the Middle Ages. Spelling variations of the name MacGeehend dating from that time include Keon, MacKeon, MacKeown, MacKewan, MacKoun, MacWing, Hone, MacOwen, Mageown and many more.

Early Notables of the MacGeehend family (pre 1700)

More information is included under the topic Early MacGeehend Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.

Migration of the MacGeehend family

Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name MacGeehend: Samuel and William Keown, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1840 and 1855; James and Thomas Keon arrived in Philadelphia between 1860 and 1877..



  1. ^ Moore, A.W., Manx Names. London: Elliot Stock, 62 Paternoster Row, 1906. Print


Houseofnames.com on Facebook