Lyn History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Lyn family
The surname Lyn was first found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire.
The name Lynne originally meaning "a waterfall," is first noted in the area of Dalry in the years 1200-1300. They were located here and had land and owned the Castle of Lin near the waterfall of the Calf.
"The family of Lin or Lynn of that Ilk in the parish of Dairy, Ayrshire, took their name from the cascade on the Water of Caaf, near which stood the ancient castle of Lin." 
Black also notes another possible origin of the family. "From the old manor of the same name in Peeblesshire. David de Lyne son of Robert de Lyne, granted to Neubode 'totam peteram de locqueruard que vocatur Wluesstrother,' c. 1165-1214, a grant increased by his son Robert within the same period." 
The barony of Lynn was created from lands granted by Hugh de Morville in 1204. One of the first listed at the time was Walter de Lynne, who listed on the Ragman Rolls signed of 1296.
Important Dates for the Lyn family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lyn research. Another 110 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1263, 1296, 1452, 1579, 1636, 1626 and are included under the topic Early Lyn History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lyn Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lind, Lynd, Lynde, Lynn, Line, Lines and others.
Early Notables of the Lyn family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lyn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Lyn family to Ireland
Some of the Lyn family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 73 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lyn migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lyn Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Lyn, who landed in Virginia in 1655 
Contemporary Notables of the name Lyn (post 1700)
- Kassie Lyn Logsdon (b. 1987), American model, Playboy Playmate of the Month for May 2010
- Kaci Lyn Battaglia (b. 1987), also known as Kaci, an American singer, songwriter, dancer, actress, and professional kickboxing instructor
- Janis Lyn Joplin (1943-1970), American blues-influenced rock singer, inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995
- Jodi Lyn O'Keefe (b. 1978), American actress and model
- Mary Lyn Wilde (b. 1922), and Marion Lee, American identical twins, singers and actresses in musicals
- Lyn Lott (1950-2018), American professional golfer from Douglas, Georgia; he played on the PGA Tour from 1974 to 1984, inducted into the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame in 1998
- Lyn Wilde (1922-2016), American singer, member of The Wilde Twins, sister to Lee Wilde
- Lyn St. James (b. 1947), born Evelyn Gene Cornwall, American retired professional IndyCar driver
- Lyn Sprules (b. 1975), English retired female hammer thrower who competed at the European U23 Championships (1997)
- Brigadier Lyn McDade, Australian Army officer, Director of Military Prosecutions
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)