Lownes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The vast movement of people that followed the Norman Conquest of England of 1066 brought the Lownes family name to the British Isles. They lived near a grove deriving its origin from the Old English word lundr, which means grove.
Early Origins of the Lownes family
The surname Lownes was first found in Cheshire where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Lownes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lownes research. Another 102 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lownes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lownes Spelling Variations
A multitude of spelling variations characterize Norman surnames. Many variations occurred because Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England also had a pronounced effect, as did the court languages of Latin and French. Therefore, one person was often referred to by several different spellings in a single lifetime. The various spellings include Lowndes, Lownde, Lownd, Lownes and others.
Early Notables of the Lownes family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lownes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lownes migration to the United States
Many English families left England, to avoid the chaos of their homeland and migrated to the many British colonies abroad. Although the conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and some travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute, once in the colonies, many of the families prospered and made valuable contributions to the cultures of what would become the United States and Canada. Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Lownes or a variant listed above:
Lownes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Lownes, who landed in Virginia in 1634 
- Edward Lownes, who settled in Virginia in 1637
- Mary Lownes settled with her husband in Virginia in 1652
- John Lownes, who arrived in Virginia in 1652 
- Bartholomew Lownes, who arrived in Virginia in 1664 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Lownes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Lownes, aged 16, who landed in Virginia in 1813 
- Thomas Lownes, aged 20, who arrived in Virginia in 1813 
Contemporary Notables of the name Lownes (post 1700)
- Victor Aubrey Lownes III (1928-2017), American businessman, an executive for HMH Publishing Company Inc. (better known as Playboy Enterprises) from 1955 through the early 1980s
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)