Lowcake History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The ancient history of the Lowcake name begins with the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the family resided in the village of Laycock in the West Riding of Yorkshire.  The surname was originally derived from the Old English words leah cocc, which refers to the meadow with the wild birds. 
Another Laycock is a parish, in the union and hundred of Chippenham, Chippenham and Calne in Wiltshire.  
Lacock is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and Lacock Abbey was founded on the manorial lands by Ela, Countess of Salisbury in 1232.
Early Origins of the Lowcake family
The surname Lowcake was first found in Laycock, now a a suburb of the town of Keighley in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The first record of the family dates back to the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 where Johanna Lakkoc; Johannes de Laccok; and Thomas de Lacokke were each listed. 
Because of the proximity to the Scottish border, records in Scotland were found as early as 1492 when William Laicok was vicar of Retre (Rattray.) Later John Lacok canon of Dunkeld, was auditor of accounts of the bishopric between 1505 and 1517. 
Early History of the Lowcake family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lowcake research. Another 122 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1685 and 1648 are included under the topic Early Lowcake History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lowcake Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Lowcake include Lacock, Laycock, Leacock and others.
Early Notables of the Lowcake family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lowcake Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Lowcake family
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Lowcake or a variant listed above: Robert Laycock arrived in Barbados in 1635; Adam, David, Hugh, James, John, Martha, and William Laycock all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860..
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Verus honor honestas
Motto Translation: Truth, honour and honesty.