on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Loftus is an old Anglo-Saxon
name. It comes from when a family lived in the village of Lofthouse during the reign of King Alfred
in 900 AD. This place-name was originally derived from the Old Norse words lopt
Therefore the original bearers of the Loftus surname were dwellers of the loft house. 
The surname Loftus was first found in North Yorkshire
at Lofthouse, a small village in Nidderdale in the Harrogate district or at Lofthouse, a village in West Yorkshire
. "This place, in the Domesday Survey
Lochtushum, was granted by the Conqueror to Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, who soon afterwards transferred it to the Percy family, of whom William de Percy, the third Baron
, in 1133 founded at Handall, in the parish, a priory for Benedictine nuns, which he dedicated to the Virgin Mary." 
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Loftus were recorded, including Loftus, Lofthouse, Loftis, Loftiss, Loftos and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Loftus research. Another 135 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1620, 1573, 1605, 1619, 1639, 1647 and 1691 are included under the topic Early Loftus History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Loftus Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Loftus family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 151 words (11 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England
went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Loftus family emigrate to North America:
Loftus Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Fabia Loftus, who landed in Maryland in 1679
- John Loftus arrived in Philadelphia in 1682
- John Loftus, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1683
Loftus Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Biddy Loftus, aged 40, landed in New York, NY in 1848
- Peter Loftus, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1853
- James Loftus, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1854
- John, Michael, Patrick and Thomas Loftus, all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
- J H Loftus, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1875
Loftus Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Biddy and Elen Loftus arrived in Quebec in 1848
Loftus Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Loftus, aged 21, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "James Fernie"
Loftus Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Annie Loftus, aged 17, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Jessie Osborne" in 1867
- Mathew W. Loftus (1839-1902), American Democrat politician, Mayor of Scranton, Pennsylvania, 1872-75
- Lawrence Loftus, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from East Windsor, 1934
- John T. Loftus, American politician, Mayor of Carbondale, Pennsylvania, 1920
- John J. Loftus, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1912, 1916, 1924, 1928
- James J. Loftus, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 33rd District, 1930
- Hubert J. Loftus, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1972, 1980
- Edgar J. Loftus, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1940
- Daniel Loftus, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 2004
- Noel Loftus, American Republican politician, Candidate for Virgin Islands legislature from St. Croix, 2000, 2002
- Patrick H. Loftus, American politician, Socialist Labor Candidate for Massachusetts State Treasurer, 1922
- The Ancestors and Descendants of John Jospeh Loftis and Laura May Wolf(e) by Sandi Loftis Komosinski.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
The Loftus Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Loftus Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 May 2016 at 21:26.
on orders of $85 or more