on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The surname Lipsey was first found in Yorkshire
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1297 when William held estates in that shire.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lipsett, Lypsett, Liptrap, Lyptrap, Lupsett and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lipsey research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1331, 1455, 1487, 1172 and are included under the topic Early Lipsey History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Lipsey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Lipsey family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 171 words (12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lipsey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Lipsey, who arrived in New York, NY in 1846
- Robert Lipsey, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Lipsey Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Francis Lipsey arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Aloe" in 1863
- Charlotte Lipsey arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Aloe" in 1863
- George Lipsey arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alfred" in 1864
- Alexander "Sandy" Lipsey, American Democratic politician, Member of the Michigan State House of Representatives (2000-2006)
- Irving Lipsey, American politician, Socialist Labor Candidate for Justice of New York Supreme Court 1st District, 1931
- Richard George Lipsey OC FRSC (b. 1928), Canadian academic and economist
- Matt Lipsey, British television and film director
- David Lawrence Lipsey (b. 1948), Baron Lipsey, a British journalist and Labour Party politician, Chairman of the Fabian Society (1981-1982)
- Daryl Lipsey (b. 1963), Canadian former professional ice hockey player and coach
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
The Lipsey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Lipsey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 March 2016 at 08:15.
on orders of $85 or more