Linne History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Linne family
The surname Linne was first found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire.
The name Lynne originally meaning "a waterfall," is first noted in the area of Dalry in the years 1200-1300. They were located here and had land and owned the Castle of Lin near the waterfall of the Calf.
"The family of Lin or Lynn of that Ilk in the parish of Dairy, Ayrshire, took their name from the cascade on the Water of Caaf, near which stood the ancient castle of Lin." 
Black also notes another possible origin of the family. "From the old manor of the same name in Peeblesshire. David de Lyne son of Robert de Lyne, granted to Neubode 'totam peteram de locqueruard que vocatur Wluesstrother,' c. 1165-1214, a grant increased by his son Robert within the same period." 
The barony of Lynn was created from lands granted by Hugh de Morville in 1204. One of the first listed at the time was Walter de Lynne, who listed on the Ragman Rolls signed of 1296.
Important Dates for the Linne family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Linne research. Another 110 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1263, 1296, 1452, 1579, 1636, 1626 and are included under the topic Early Linne History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Linne Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lind, Lynd, Lynde, Lynn, Line, Lines and others.
Early Notables of the Linne family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Linne Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Linne family to Ireland
Some of the Linne family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 73 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Linne migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Linne Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Linne, who landed in America in 1783 
Linne Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Linne, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1857 
- Louis Linne, who landed in St Clair County, Illinois in 1864 
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)