Leeming History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the name Leeming date back to the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Leeming family lived in the village of Leeming which was in the county of Yorkshire near the town of Bedale. The surname Leeming is a Habitation name which forms a broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. Habitation names were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. In this case the surname Leeming denotes those who came from Leeming.
Early Origins of the Leeming family
The surname Leeming was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Leeming family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leeming research. Another 79 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1273 is included under the topic Early Leeming History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leeming Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Leeming are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Leeming include: Leeming, Leming and others.
Early Notables of the Leeming family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Leeming Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leeming migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Leeming Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Leeming, English convict from Lancaster, who was transported aboard the "Almorah" on April 1817, settling in New South Wales, Australia 
- Mr. Stephen Leeming, English convict who was convicted in Leeds, Yorkshire, England for 7 years, transported aboard the "Eliza" on 13th July 1822, arriving in New South Wales, Australia 
- Richard Eccles Leeming, English convict from Lancaster, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on September 21, 1826, settling in New South Wales, Australia 
- Mr. John Leeming who was convicted in Lancaster, Lancashire, England for 7 years, transported aboard the "Camden" on 21st March 1831, arriving in New South Wales, Australia 
- Mr. James Leeming, English convict who was convicted in Lancashire, England for 15 years, transported aboard the "David Clarke" on 3rd June 1841, arriving in Tasmania (Van Diemen's Land) 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Leeming (post 1700) +
- John Fishwick Leeming (1895-1965), English entrepreneur, businessman, co-founder of the Lancashire Aero Club
- Mrs. Carol Anne Leeming M.B.E., British Poet and Playwright, was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire on 29th December 2018 for services to the Arts and to Culture in Leicester 
- John Joseph "J. J." Leeming (1899-1981), British road traffic engineer and author
- Carol Leeming, British female singer and songwriter
- Jan Leeming (b. 1942), British TV presenter and newsreader
Related Stories +