Lecech History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Anglo-Saxon name Lecech comes from the family having resided in the village of Laycock in the West Riding of Yorkshire.  The surname was originally derived from the Old English words leah cocc, which refers to the meadow with the wild birds. 
Another Laycock is a parish, in the union and hundred of Chippenham, Chippenham and Calne in Wiltshire.  
Lacock is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and Lacock Abbey was founded on the manorial lands by Ela, Countess of Salisbury in 1232.
Early Origins of the Lecech family
The surname Lecech was first found in Laycock, now a a suburb of the town of Keighley in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The first record of the family dates back to the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 where Johanna Lakkoc; Johannes de Laccok; and Thomas de Lacokke were each listed. 
Because of the proximity to the Scottish border, records in Scotland were found as early as 1492 when William Laicok was vicar of Retre (Rattray.) Later John Lacok canon of Dunkeld, was auditor of accounts of the bishopric between 1505 and 1517. 
Early History of the Lecech family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lecech research. Another 122 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1685 and 1648 are included under the topic Early Lecech History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lecech Spelling Variations
Lecech has been spelled many different ways. Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Spelling variants included: Lacock, Laycock, Leacock and others.
Early Notables of the Lecech family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lecech Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Lecech family
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Lecechs to arrive on North American shores: Robert Laycock arrived in Barbados in 1635; Adam, David, Hugh, James, John, Martha, and William Laycock all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860..
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Verus honor honestas
Motto Translation: Truth, honour and honesty.
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Arthur, William , An Etymological Dictionary of Family and Christian Names. London: 1857. Print
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)