Lecach History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The present generation of the Lecach family is only the most recent to bear a name that dates back to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. Their name comes from having lived in the village of Laycock in the West Riding of Yorkshire.  The surname was originally derived from the Old English words leah cocc, which refers to the meadow with the wild birds. 
Another Laycock is a parish, in the union and hundred of Chippenham, Chippenham and Calne in Wiltshire.  
Lacock is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 and Lacock Abbey was founded on the manorial lands by Ela, Countess of Salisbury in 1232.
Early Origins of the Lecach family
The surname Lecach was first found in Laycock, now a a suburb of the town of Keighley in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The first record of the family dates back to the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 where Johanna Lakkoc; Johannes de Laccok; and Thomas de Lacokke were each listed. 
Because of the proximity to the Scottish border, records in Scotland were found as early as 1492 when William Laicok was vicar of Retre (Rattray.) Later John Lacok canon of Dunkeld, was auditor of accounts of the bishopric between 1505 and 1517. 
Early History of the Lecach family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lecach research. Another 122 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1685 and 1648 are included under the topic Early Lecach History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lecach Spelling Variations
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Lecach include Lacock, Laycock, Leacock and others.
Early Notables of the Lecach family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lecach Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Lecach family
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Lecach were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records: Robert Laycock arrived in Barbados in 1635; Adam, David, Hugh, James, John, Martha, and William Laycock all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860..
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Verus honor honestas
Motto Translation: Truth, honour and honesty.