on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish layne family come from? What is the Irish layne family crest and coat of arms? When did the layne family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the layne family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lane, Laney and others.
First found in County Roscommon (Irish: Ros Comáin) located in central Ireland in the province of Connacht, in the mid 17th century. Most likely from the Gaelic name Ó Dubhshláine, comprised of "dubh" and "slán," meaning black and challenge.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our layne research. Another 23 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1668, 1620, 1683, 1664, 1650 and 1724 are included under the topic Early layne History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 75 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early layne Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
layne Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Layne, who landed in Virginia in 1619
- Robt Layne, who landed in Virginia in 1643
- Robert Layne, who arrived in Virginia in 1648
layne Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Edward Layne, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1746
- Cynthia Layne (1963-2015), American contemporary jazz vocalist
- Ivoria Hillis "Tony" Layne (1918-2010), American Major League Baseball third baseman who played from 1941 to 1945
- Jerry Blake Layne (b. 1958), American Major League Baseball umpire in the National League between 1989 and 1999
- Thomas Kevin Layne (b. 1984), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Robert Lawrence "Bobby" Layne (1926-1986), American NFL football quarterback, inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1967 and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1968
- Alfredo Layne (1959-1999), Panamanian professional boxer
- David "Bronco" Layne (b. 1939), former English footballer
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
The layne Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The layne Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 January 2014 at 13:10.
on orders of $85 or more