on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish lawlor family come from? What is the Irish lawlor family crest and coat of arms? When did the lawlor family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the lawlor family history?The family name lawlor has an intrinsic connection to the Gaelic culture of Ireland. The original Gaelic form of the name lawlor is O Leathlobhair, which is derived from the words leath, which means half, and lobhar, which means sick person or leper.
Pronunciation, rather than spelling, was what guided scribes and church officials in recording names, a practice that often led to the misleading result of one person's name being recorded under several different spellings. Numerous spelling variations of the surname lawlor are preserved in documents that were examined for evidence of the family's history. The various spellings of lawlor included Lawlor, Lalor, O'Lalor, O'Lawlor and others.
First found in County Leix (Irish: Laois) formerly known as Queen's County, located in central Ireland, in Leinster Province, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lawlor research. Another 380 words(27 lines of text) covering the year 1854 is included under the topic Early lawlor History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 73 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early lawlor Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
North America received thousands of Irish immigrants from the English-ruled Ireland during the 19th century. Once in the United States or what would become Canada, these immigrants quickly contributed to the ongoing settling and industrialization processes. The largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine of the late 1840s. An exhaustive examination of immigrant and passenger lists has shown many early immigrants bearing the surname of lawlor:
lawlor Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lawrence Lawlor, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1835
- William Lawlor, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1836
- Anne Lawlor, aged 11, landed in New York in 1854
- Denis Lawlor, aged 13, landed in New York in 1854
lawlor Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas Lawlor, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1822
- Mary Ann Lawlor, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1835
- Catherine Riley Lawlor, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1841
- Michael Lawlor, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1842
- John Lawlor, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1843
lawlor Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Henry Charles Lawlor a lawyer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Brilliant" in 1841
- Ann Caroline Lawlor arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Brilliant" in 1841
- Annie Caroline Lawlor arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Brilliant" in 1841
- Thomas Joseph "Tom" Lawlor (b. 1983), American mixed martial artist
- Robert Lawlor (b. 1939), mythographer, symbologist and New Age author of several books
- Charles B. Lawlor (1852-1925), American vaudeville performer and composer of popular songs
- Gerri Lawlor, American actress and voice actor
- Edward G. Lawlor (1907-1987), American minister and general superintendent in the Church of the Nazarene
- Michael H. Lawlor (1854-1918), American Major League Baseball catcher
- Liam Aloysius Lawlor (1944-2005), Irish politician
- James J. Lawlor (b. 1933), Irish former professional footballer
- Sean Lawlor (1954-2009), Irish character actor and playwright
- Éamonn Lawlor (b. 1951), Irish radio broadcaster
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The lawlor Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The lawlor Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:21.
on orders of $85 or more