Laurenson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the Laurenson family come from the ancient Scottish kingdom of Dalriada. Their surname comes from the personal name Laurence. The Gaelic form of the name is Mac Labhruinn, which means son of Labhran or son of Laurence. The Clan is believed to be descended from Lorn, son of Erc, who landed in Argyll in 503 AD. Although the lineage before the 12th century is difficult to prove, it has been established that the clan held vast territories called the Braes of Balquhidder. They were recorded as being 'all grand, strong men' and, when the Old Kirk at Balquhidder was being repaired, clan members supervised the exhumation of some of the bodies of ancient members of the clan from the graveyard that was a traditional the burial place of the theirs. They found bones measuring 23 and a half inches long, which makes them big men even by today's standards.
Early Origins of the Laurenson family
The surname Laurenson was first found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute, where in the valley of Loch Voil between the head of Loch Lomond and Loch Earn they were so powerful that it was once said that no one could take his place in church until the MacLaren Clan were properly seated.
They were kinsmen of the Celtic Earls of Strathearn and their branches were at Balquidder, Strathearn, Auchleskine, Stank, Druach and Lochearnside. They engaged neighboring Clans in lively feuds but always remained faithful in their allegiance to the Royal House of Stewart.
They were hereditary Celtic Abbots of Achtow and derive their name from Abbot Lawrence. For almost a thousand years the gathering place of the Clan has been Creag an Tuirc, the 'Boars Rock' in Achtow, in Balquhidder. This has also been adopted as their slogan.
Early History of the Laurenson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Laurenson research. Another 312 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1344, 1698, 1745 and are included under the topic Early Laurenson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Laurenson Spelling Variations
Medieval spelling was at best an intuitive process, and translation between Gaelic and English was no more effective. These factors caused an enormous number of spelling variations in Dalriadan names. In fact, it was not uncommon to see a father and son who spelled their name differently. Over the years, Laurenson has been spelled MacLaren, MacLaron, MacLaurin, MacLarty, MacClarence, MacPhater, MacFeeter and many more.
Early Notables of the Laurenson family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Laurenson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Laurenson family to Ireland
Some of the Laurenson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 78 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Laurenson migration to New Zealand +
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Laurenson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Jessie Laurenson, aged 19, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Soukar" in 1874
- Margaret Laurenson, aged 12, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Soukar" in 1874
- Miss Christina Laurenson, (b. 1854), aged 19, Scottish servant travelling from Glasgow aboard the ship "Wild Deer" arriving in Port Chalmers, Dunedin, Otago, South Island, New Zealand on 5th March 1874 
Contemporary Notables of the name Laurenson (post 1700) +
- Ms. Sandra Mary Laurenson O.B.E. (b. 1958), Scottish Chief Executive for Lerwick Port Authority, was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire on 29th December 2018 for services to the UK Ports Industry and to the Scottish Economy 
- James Laurenson (b. 1940), New Zealand-born stage and screen actor
- George Laurenson (1857-1913), New Zealand Member of Parliament for Lyttelton in the South Island (1899-1913)
Related Stories +
The Laurenson Motto +
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Creag an tuirc
Motto Translation: The boar's rock.
- ^ New Zealand Yesteryears Passenger Lists 1800 to 1900 (Retrieved 26th March 2019). Retrieved from http://www.yesteryears.co.nz/shipping/passlist.html
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62507, 28 December 2018 | London Gazette, The Gazette, Dec. 2018, www.thegazette.co.uk/honours-lists