launay History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the launay family
The surname launay was first found in London where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that city.
Early History of the launay family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our launay research. Another 167 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1463, 1455, 1487, 1664, 1584, 1654, 1608, 1610, 1565, 1659, 1565, 1659, 1728, 1543, 1600, 1543, 1585, 1172 and 1685 are included under the topic Early launay History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
launay Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Delawny, Delauney, De Laune, De Lune, Delaune, Delorney, Dalorney, Deloney, Delony, De Lawny and many more.
Early Notables of the launay family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Paul Delaune (c.1584-c.1654), an English physician, Gresham Professor of Physic during the Interregnum, graduated at Emmanuel College, Cambridge (1608.)
William Delaune (d. 1610), was a French divine and physician, was a native of France, where he became a Protestant minister.
His son, Gideon Delaune or Delawne (1565?-1659), was an English apothecary, eldest son of William Delaune, a French Protestant pastor, was born at Rheims...
Another 68 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early launay Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the launay family to Ireland
Some of the launay family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 116 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
launay migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
launay Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Widow Launay, who landed in Virginia in 1714 
- Jean Launay, aged 22, who landed in Louisiana in 1719 
- Gemaine Launay, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1796 
Contemporary Notables of the name launay (post 1700) +
- Jean Aulay de Launay, French Divisional General during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars from 1789 to 1815 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Generals Who Served in the French Army during the Period 1789-1815. (Retrieved 2015, March 30) Jean Launay. Retrieved from http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/c_frenchgenerals.html