on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish latta family come from? What is the Scottish latta family crest and coat of arms? When did the latta family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the latta family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Latto, Lawtie, Laithis, Lautie, Latta, Lattay, Lathes, Lawta, Lawty, Lawtye, Lawtay, Lathis and many more.
First found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat on the lands of Lathis from very early times. The first recorded Chief of the name was Thomas Laithis "of that Ilk."
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our latta research. Another 357 words(26 lines of text) covering the years 1350, 1518, 1587, 1628, 1646, 1648, 1695, 1720 and 1766 are included under the topic Early latta History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early latta Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
latta Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Latta settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1768
latta Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Latta, who landed in America in 1807
- Robert Latta, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1814
- Anson Latta settled in Plainfield in 1830
- Albert Latta settled in Phillipston, in Thurlow township in 1834
- Colvin Latta, who landed in America in 1862
latta Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Latta, aged 24, arrived in Saint John aboard the ship "Highlander" in 1834
- J. G. Latta was a farmer in Thurlow township in Plainfield in Ontario in 1841
latta Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Latta arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John" in 1840
- Sarah Latta arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John" in 1840
- Elizabeth Latta arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John" in 1840
- Robert Latta arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John" in 1840
- Mary Latta arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John" in 1840
latta Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Latta, aged 21, a plumber, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Helenslee" in 1864
- Mary Latta, aged 23, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Helenslee" in 1864
- Thomas Latta, aged 18 mths., arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Helenslee" in 1864
- Sophia Latta, aged 1 mth., arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Helenslee" in 1864
- Hugh Lusk Latta, American interior designer of Corinth, Mississippi
- Delbert Leroy "Del" Latta (b. 1920), American politician, Member of the United States House of Representatives from Ohio (1959-1989)
- James P. Latta (1844-1911), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Nebraska (1909-1911)
- Christopher Lawence Latta (1949-1994), birth name of Christopher Charles Collins, American voice actor
- Robert Edward "Bob" Latta (b. 1956), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Ohio (2007-)
- Ivory Latta (b. 1984), American professional WNBA basketball player
- John Latta (1836-1913), American politician, 1st Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania (1875-1879)
- Gregory Edwin Latta (1952-1994), American football player, inducted into the Morgan State Hall of Fame
- Alex Latta (1867-1928), Scottish footballer who played from 1881 to 1898, member of the Scotland National Team (1888-1898)
- Sir John Latta (1867-1946), 1st Baronet, a Scottish shipping magnate, CEO of the Nitrate Producers' Steamship Company
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
The latta Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The latta Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 December 2014 at 13:40.
on orders of $85 or more