larock History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Languedoc is the region of ancient France from which the name larock was derived. It comes from when the family lived in La Rocque, in l'Herault, Languedoc.
Early Origins of the larock family
The surname larock was first found in Languedoc where the family has held a family seat since ancient times.
Important Dates for the larock family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our larock research. Another 430 words (31 lines of text) covering the years 1090, 1112, 1132, 1280, 1303, 1372, 1500, 1550, 1581, 1582, and 1620 are included under the topic Early larock History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
larock Spelling Variations
Changes of spelling have occurred in most surnames. The earliest explanation is that during the early development of the French language, names were not yet fixed in spelling. Usually a person gave his version of his name, phonetically, to a scribe, a priest, or a recorder. This depended on accent, and local accents frequently changed the spelling of a name. Some variables were adopted by different branches of the family name. Hence, there are some spelling variations of the name larock, including La Roque, Roque, De Roque, du Roque, Rocque, La Rocque, du Rocque, Larocque, Laroc, Roquebrune and many more.
Early Notables of the larock family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early larock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
larock migration to the United States
In 1643, 109 years after the first landings by Cartier, there were only about 300 people in Quebec. Migration was slow. The fur trade attracted migrants, both noble and commoner. By 1675, there were 7000 French in Quebec. By the same year the French Acadian presence in the Maritimes had reached 500. The French founded Lower Canada, thus becoming one of the two great founding nations of Canada. The family name larock has made many distinguished contributions in France and New France to the world of science, culture, religion, and education. Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name larock were
larock Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Stephen Larock, who settled in Virginia in 1648
larock Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- B.J. Larock, aged 27, who immigrated to America, in 1894
larock Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mrs. John LaRock, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1911
- Mrs. John LaRock, aged 40, who landed in America, in 1912
- John LaRock, aged 45, who landed in America, in 1912
- Albert LaRock, aged 14, who landed in America, in 1912
- Gilbert G. LaRock, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name larock (post 1700)
- Yves Larock (b. 1977), Swiss music producer
- Victor Larock (1904-1977), Belgian socialist politician, the first President of the Council of the European Communities