landrigan History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The many Irish surnames in use today have long rich histories behind them. The name landrigan originally appeared in Gaelic as O Longargain.
Early Origins of the landrigan family
The surname landrigan was first found in County Tipperary (Irish: Thiobraid Árann), established in the 13th century in South-central Ireland, in the province of Munster, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
One of the first records of the family was "at the synod of Kells, 1152, [when] Cardinal Paparo gave a pallium to Donat O'Lonergan of Cashel, and since then his successors have ruled the ecclesiastical province of Munster. " 
Early History of the landrigan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our landrigan research. Another 64 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 117 and 1172 are included under the topic Early landrigan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
landrigan Spelling Variations
One explanation for the many variations is that scribes and church officials frequently spelled the name as it sounded: an imprecise method at best. Understandably then, various spellings of the surname landrigan were found in the many archives researched. These included Lonergan, Landergan, Landrigan, Ladrigan, Lonagan, Landragan, Longargan and many more.
Early Notables of the landrigan family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early landrigan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
landrigan migration to the United States +
Suffering from poverty and racial discrimination, thousands of Irish families left the island in the 19th century for North America aboard cramped passenger ships. The early migrants became settlers of small tracts of land, and those that came later were often employed in the new cities or transitional work camps. The largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine during the late 1840s. Although the immigrants from this period were often maligned when they arrived in the United States, they provided the cheap labor that was necessary for the development of that country as an industrial power. Early immigration and passenger lists have revealed many immigrants bearing the name landrigan:
landrigan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ellen Landrigan, aged 20, who landed in New York in 1854 
- John Landrigan, aged 21, who arrived in New York in 1854 
landrigan migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
landrigan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Bridget Landrigan, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1840
- Ann Landrigan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1842
- Mary Landrigan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1843
landrigan migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
landrigan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Landrigan, aged 24, who arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Confiance" 
Contemporary Notables of the name landrigan (post 1700) +
- Philip J. Landrigan M.D. M.Sc., (b. 1942), American epidemiologist and pediatrician, Director of the Children's Environmental Health Center and the Ethel Wise Professor and Chair of the Department of Preventive Medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City
- Kevin Landrigan, American columnist for the Nashua Telegraph
- Kevin Landrigan (1917-1982), Australian rules footballer who played with Hawthorn in 1940
Related Stories +
- ^ Herbermann, Charles George, ed. The Catholic Encyclopedia New York: Appleton, 1913. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ South Australian Register Tuesday 30th November 1858. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) Confiance 1858. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/confiance1858.shtml.