landis History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
During that dark period of history known as the Middle Ages, the name of landis was first used in France. While the patronymic and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the name of the father and mother respectively, are the most common form of hereditary surname in France, occupational surnames also emerged during the late Middle Ages. Many people, such as the landis family, adopted the name of their occupation as their surname. However, an occupational name did not become a hereditary surname until the office or type of employment became hereditary. The surname landis was an occupational name for a grower of lavender. Looking back further, we find the name landis was originally from the Old English word lavendier, which indicated someone of that profession.
Early Origins of the landis family
The surname landis was first found in Bedfordshire, where Almaric de Landres held lands in Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire in the 13th century. He originated in Burgundy, France with the spelling Landres which is also a commune today in Lorraine. The northern-eastern location of the name in France makes the Norman influence very probable. 
At about the same time, Ysabelle la Lauendere was listed a census in 1253 and Ralf la Lavendered was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Somerset in 1268. Thomas Launder was listed in Yorkshire in 1331 and later Elyzabeth Lander was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Staffordshire in 1524. 
Early History of the landis family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our landis research. Another 77 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1550, 1659, 1575, 1665, 1217 and 1260 are included under the topic Early landis History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
landis Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Landers, Lander, Landes, Landis, Landor and others.
Early Notables of the landis family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early landis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name landis is the 1,967th most popular surname with an estimated 14,922 people with that name. 
Migration of the landis family to Ireland
Some of the landis family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 208 words (15 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
landis migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
landis Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Landis, who landed in America in 1708 
- Hans Landis, who arrived in America in 1731 
- Hch Landis, who landed in America in 1731 
- Johan Landis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1732 
- Peter Landis, aged 24, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
landis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Landis, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1846 
Contemporary Notables of the name landis (post 1700) +
- Merkel Landis (1875-1960), American lawyer and banker from Carlisle, Pennsylvania, as President of Carlisle Trust Company, he founded the Christmas Savings Club in 1909, now used by many banks nationwide
- James Henry "Jim" Landis (1934-2017), American professional baseball player, AL Gold Glove Award winner five consecutive seasons
- Geoffrey A. Landis (b. 1955), American scientist and science fiction writer
- John David Landis (b. 1950), American film director, screenwriter, actor, and producer
- J Cullen Landis (1895-1975), American motion picture actor
- Carole Landis (1919-1948), American film actress
- James Nobel Landis (1899-1989), American electrical-power engineer
- James M. Landis (1899-1964), American lawyer, academic, and government official
- Kenesaw Mountain Landis (1866-1944), American jurist/baseball commissioner
- W. Walter Landis, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Pennsylvania State Senate 1st District, 1912
- ... (Another 27 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name landis +
- Our Brechbill/Brightbill, Kreider and Landis Ancestors by Patricia Shannon Brightbill.
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)