100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname lampkin was first found in Northumberland
, where Lambekyn Flandrensis was registered in 1178 after migrating from Flanders
. By the 13th century the family had branched to London, with Lambekin de Lamburne and Lambekin de Carsell registered there in the Hundredorum Rolls
of 1273. 
Flemish surnames are characterized by a large number of spelling variations. One reason for this is that medieval English lacked definite spelling rules. The spellings of surnames were also influenced by the official court languages, which were French and Latin. Names were rarely spelled consistently in medieval times. Scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, rather than adhering to specific spelling rules, and people often had their names registered in several different forms throughout their lives. One of the greatest reasons for change is the linguistic uniqueness of the Flemish settlers in England, who spoke a language closely related to Dutch. The pronunciation and spelling of Flemish names were often altered to suit the tastes of English-speaking people. In many cases, the first, final, or middle syllables of surnames were eliminated. The name has been spelled Lambkin, Lampkin, Lambking, Lamkin, Lamekin, Lambekin, Lambekyn, Lambkyn, Lamkyn, Lambekynus and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lampkin research. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1301, 1370, 1379, 1608, and 1643 are included under the topic Early lampkin History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 24 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early lampkin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
In the immigration and passenger lists a number of early immigrants bearing the name lampkin were found:
lampkin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- David Lampkin to Virginia in 1654
lampkin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Amelia F. Lampkin, aged 36, who settled in America, in 1896
lampkin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Aileen Lampkin, who landed in America, in 1904
- Sarah H. Lampkin, aged 35, who emigrated to America, in 1905
- Emma M. Lampkin, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1907
- Harry Lampkin, aged 29, who settled in America, in 1917
- John Lampkin, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States, in 1917
- Daisy Elizabeth Adams Lampkin (1883-1965), American suffragette and civil rights activist
- Jeff Lampkin (b. 1959), American former professional boxer winner of the USBA cruiserweight title and IBF cruiserweight belt
- Thomas Michael Lampkin (b. 1964), American former Major League Baseball catcher
- Andrew Lampkin, American prominent chemical engineer and municipal politician
- Martin Lampkin (1950-2016), English professional motorcycle competitor, four-time winner of the Scott Trial (1977, 1978, 1981, 1982), a three-time winner of the British trials national championship (1973, 1978, 1980)
- Kevin Lampkin (b. 1972), English former professional footballer
- Douglas Martin "Dougie" Lampkin MBE (b. 1976), English motorcycle trials rider
- Lampkin Genealogy by Richard H. Lampkin.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
The lampkin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The lampkin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 April 2016 at 09:27.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!