lambdin History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the lambdin family
The surname lambdin was first found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat on the English/Scottish border. After the Norman Conquest of England many of Duke William's rebellious Barons moved north. The border became a convenient no-man's land. Notable families such as the Percy, the Umfravilles and the Nevilles gathered many supporting clans around them. In the 16th century they became known as the 'unruly clans'. In that century, many of those clans drove their herds south, and they settled in Yorkshire and Lancashire. The name was first recorded in the lands of Lamben in Berwickshire anciently known as Hassington.
Important Dates for the lambdin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our lambdin research. Another 92 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1261 and 1317 are included under the topic Early lambdin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lambdin Spelling Variations
During the era when a person's name, tribe and posterity was one of his most important possessions, many different spellings were found in the archives examined. lambdin occurred in many references, and spelling variations of the name found included Lamben, Lampden, Lamden, Lambdin, Lamdin and others.
Early Notables of the lambdin family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early lambdin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
lambdin migration to the United States
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of illness and the elements, were buried at sea. In North America, early immigrants bearing the family name lambdin, or a spelling variation of the surname include:
Typical lambdin Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
lambdin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Martha Lambdin, who arrived in Virginia in 1638 
- Robert Lambdin, who landed in Virginia in 1638 
- William Lambdin, who arrived in Virginia in 1638 
lambdin migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
lambdin Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
Contemporary Notables of the name lambdin (post 1700)
- Lambdin Purdy Milligan (1812-1899), American lawyer, farmer, and leader of the Knights of the Golden Circle during the American Civil War
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ State Library of Queensland. (Retrieved 2016, October 27) Asia 1 voyage to Van Diemen's Land, Australia in 1824 with 9 passengers. Retrieved from http://www.convictrecords.com.au/ships/asia/1824