laidlow was first used as a surname by the descendents of the Boernician
clans of Scotland
. The laidlow family lived in Selkirk (now part of the region of Borders). They moved there from Laidlawstiel in Galashiels; however, it seems likely that Laidlawstiel was named after the family, not vice versa. The traditional view of the origin of the name is that it derives from the town of Ludlow, in Shropshire
, with the name changing over time as the family migrated north into Scotland.
Early Origins of the laidlow family
The surname laidlow was first found in Selkirk, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the laidlow family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our laidlow research.Another 119 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1585, 1590, and 1603 are included under the topic Early laidlow History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
laidlow Spelling Variations
Scribes in the Middle Ages simply spelled according to sound. The result is an enormous number of spelling variations
among names that evolved in that era. laidlow has been spelled Laidlaw, Laidlay, Laidler, Laidley, Ladlyle and others.
Early Notables of the laidlow family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early laidlow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the laidlow family to the New World and Oceana
Most of the Boernician-Scottish families who came to North America settled on the eastern seaboard of what would become the United States and Canada. Families who wanted a new order stayed south in the War of Independence
, while those who were still loyal to the crown went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. In the 20th century, the ancestors of these families have gone on to rediscover their heritage through Clan
societies and other patriotic Scottish organizations. Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name laidlow or a variant listed above:
laidlow Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- David Laidlow, aged 30, who landed in America from Thornton, Scotland, in 1907
- Ed. Laidlow, aged 28, who settled in America from Kingston, Jamaica, in 1910
- Mary Laidlow, aged 13, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1911
- Berth Laidlow, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1911
- Henry Laidlow, who emigrated to the United States from England, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
laidlow Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Annie Laidlow, aged 32, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1910
- Margaret Laidlow, aged 29, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1910
- Mary Laidlow, aged 30, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1913
- Frances L.K. Laidlow, aged 60, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1913
laidlow Family Crest Products