Knowlan History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Throughout history, very few Irish surnames have exclusively maintained their original forms. Before being translated into English, Knowlan appeared as Ó Nualláin, which is derived from the Irish Gaelic word "nuall," meaning "nobler, famous."  
"Ó Nualláin, this name is numerous in all the provinces, especially in its homeland, south-east Leinster. " 
Early Origins of the Knowlan family
The surname Knowlan was first found in County Carlow (Irish: Cheatharlach) a small landlocked area located in the province of Leinster in the South East of Ireland "where they were chiefs of Fotharta Feadha, now the barony of 'Forth.' From Eochaidh Fionn-Fohart descended O'Nowlan or Nolan or Fowerty (or Foharta), in Lease (or Leix.) " 
Early History of the Knowlan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Knowlan research. Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1793, 1837, 1793, 1804, 1811, 1784, 1864, 1784, 1796, 1803 and 1832 are included under the topic Early Knowlan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Knowlan Spelling Variations
Within the archives researched, many different spelling variations of the surname Knowlan were found. These included One reason for the many variations is that scribes and church officials often spelled an individual's name as it sounded. This imprecise method often led to many versions. Nolan, O'Nolan, Nowlan, O'Nowlan, O'Nowland, Knowlan, Noland and many more.
Early Notables of the Knowlan family (pre 1700)
Prominent amongst the family at this time was Rev. Edward Nolan (1793-1837) , Bishop of Kildare. He was born in Tullow, Co. Carlow in 1793. He was educated at Carlow College from 1804 until 1811 when he went to Maynooth College.
Frederick Nolan (1784-1864), the Irish divine was born at Old Rathmines Castle, co. Dublin, the seat of his grandfather, on 9 Feb. 1784 and was third son of Edward Nolan of St. Peter's, Dublin, by his...
Another 76 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Knowlan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Knowlan migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Knowlan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mr. Michael Knowlan, (b. 1815), aged 22, English convict who was convicted in London, England for 7 years for stealing, transported aboard the "Charles Kerr" on 6th June 1837, arriving in New South Wales, Australia 
Contemporary Notables of the name Knowlan (post 1700) +
- John F. Knowlan, American Republican politician, Mayor of Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey, 1944-45 
Related Stories +
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York: Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ Harrison, Henry, Surnames of the United Kingdom: A Concise Etymological Dictionary Baltimore: Geneological Publishing Company, 2013. Print
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7)
- ^ O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigrees 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4)
- ^ Convict Records of Australia ( retrieved 1st February 2021, retrieved from https://convictrecords.com.au/ships/charles-kerr)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 6) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html