Kingswell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Kingswell family
The surname Kingswell was first found in Hampshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
Important Dates for the Kingswell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kingswell research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1139, 1544, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Kingswell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kingswell Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Kingswell has been recorded under many different variations, including Kingswell, Kingwell, Kingswall, Kingwall and others.
Early Notables of the Kingswell family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kingswell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kingswell migration to the United States
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Kingswell or a variant listed above:
Typical Kingswell Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Kingswell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Kingswell, who arrived in Virginia in 1633 
- Anthony Kingswell, who landed in Virginia in 1648 
Kingswell migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Kingswell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Harriett Kingswell, who arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838 
- mary Ann Kingswell, who arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838 
- Sarah Kingswell, who arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838 
- William Kingswell, who arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838 
- Mary Kingswell, who arrived in Holdfast Bay, Australia aboard the ship "Canton" in 1838 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kingswell (post 1700)
- Joseph Attard Kingswell (1925-2002), Maltese trade unionist and diplomat
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) CANTON 1838. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1838Canton.htm