The ancestors of the name Kimberley date back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. The name is derived from their residence in the parish of Kimberley located in the counties of Norfolk
Early Origins of the Kimberley family
The surname Kimberley was first found in Nottinghamshire
, where evidence suggests they held a family seat
before the Norman Conquest.
Early History of the Kimberley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kimberley research.Another 235 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1300, 1308, 1571, 1639 and 1709 are included under the topic Early Kimberley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kimberley Spelling Variations
Kimberley has been spelled many different ways. Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred
years, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Many variations of the name Kimberley have been found, including Kimberly, Kimberley, Kynmerley, imberle, Kymberly and many more.
Early Notables of the Kimberley family (pre 1700)
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kimberley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Kimberley family to the New World and Oceana
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England
, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Kimberleys to arrive on North American shores:
Kimberley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Kimberley, who sailed to New England in 1635
Kimberley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Charles Kimberley, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lorraine" in 1878
- Kate Kimberley, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lorraine" in 1878
- Matilda Kimberley, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lorraine" in 1878
- Winifred Kimberley, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lorraine" in 1878
- Catherine Kimberley, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Lorraine" in 1878
Contemporary Notables of the name Kimberley (post 1700)
- Barry Robert Kimberley (b. 1957), Australian rules footballer who played from 1979 to 1986, awarded the 1984 Simpson Medal