100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
Kilfoyle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The spelling and overall form of Irish names often vary considerably. The original Gaelic form of the name Kilfoyle is Mac Giolla Phoil, denoting the descendant of a follower of St. Paul.
Early Origins of the Kilfoyle family
The surname Kilfoyle was first found in County Offaly
(Irish: Uíbh Fháilí) originally the Kingdom of Uí Failghe, located in central Ireland
in the Province of Leinster
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times.
Early History of the Kilfoyle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kilfoyle research.Another 190 words (14 lines of text) covering the year 1576 is included under the topic Early Kilfoyle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kilfoyle Spelling Variations
The search for the origins of the name Kilfoyle family name revealed numerous spelling variations
. These variants can be somewhat accounted for when it is realized that before widespread literacy people only recognized their name by pronunciation; it was up to scribes to decide how it was to be formally recorded. Variations found include Gilfoyle, MacGilfoyle, MacIlfoyle, Guilfoyle and many more.
Early Notables of the Kilfoyle family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kilfoyle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Kilfoyle family to the New World and Oceana
A massive wave of Irish immigrants hit North America during the 19th century. Although many early Irish immigrants made a carefully planned decision to leave left Ireland
for the promise of free land, by the 1840s immigrants were fleeing a famine stricken land in desperation. The condition of Ireland
during the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s can be attributed to a rapidly expanding population and English imperial policies. Those Irish families
that arrived in North America were essential to its rapid social, industrial, and economic development. Passenger and immigration lists have revealed a number of early Irish immigrants bearing the name Kilfoyle:
Kilfoyle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Kilfoyle, who landed in New York, NY in 1816 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Mary Kilfoyle, aged 20, who landed in America from Witton Park, in 1892
Kilfoyle Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Sarah Kilfoyle, aged 25, who landed in America from Ballyhannis, Ireland, in 1900
- Delia Kilfoyle, aged 17, who settled in America from Ballyhannis, in 1903
- Katie Kilfoyle, aged 26, who landed in America from Cooloughey, in 1904
- Mary Kilfoyle, aged 17, who emigrated to America from Ballyhannis, in 1904
- Bridget Kilfoyle, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Glandore Tulla Co Cavan, in 1905
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Kilfoyle Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Wilson Kilfoyle, aged 60, who emigrated to Smith Falls, Ontario, Canada, in 1924
Kilfoyle Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Michael Kilfoyle, who landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1840
Contemporary Notables of the name Kilfoyle (post 1700)
- Kathleen Kilfoyle, American actress of the 1920s
- Peter Kilfoyle (b. 1946), English politician for Liverpool Walton
- B. Kilfoyle, Australian physicist at Mawson Station in 1966, eponym of Kilfoyle Nunataks, Antarctica
- John Augustus Charles "Jack" Kilfoyle (1893-1962), Australian pastoralist on a medium-sized property of 734,000 acres from Palmerston, Northern Territory
- Peter Kilfoyle (b. 1946), British Labour Party politician, Member of Parliament for Liverpool Walton from 1991 to 2010
Kilfoyle Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!